Wednesday 18 August 2010

Buckingham Palace Garden Party

During the last few months I have been on extended sick leave. This is due to the ongoing problem I have with the right knee. The problem was originally caused by an argument with a taxi in Lisbon. The Taxi won, and I was repatriated back to the UK and The Royal Naval Hospital "Haslar" in Gosport where I spent about a year between 1988 and 1989. The QARNNS,  (The Queen Alexanders Royal Navy Nursing Service) and the Naval Surgeons saved the leg but the accident has left me with leg problems that will follow me for the rest of my life. Perhaps it would have been easier just to get in the taxi. The good thing about the extended sick leave is that I am having to rethink the way my life is going. Though I only have about six years left before retirement (unless that get changed as well due to the inheritance left to the Nation).

While on this sick leave I did have an invitation to attend  the Buckingham Palace Garden Party. As you can imagine, I was rather cock-a-hoop. I arrived at the Mall for 1500hrs on  the 22nd of June, as I stood in line, waiting to get in with the other guests, a Policeman told me to go to the gates and see his "mate". As I was in uniform I was allowed to go into the Palace early. I did as I was told. I was ushered through the arch under the balcony that the Royal Family uses for big occasions, and into the courtyard that is usually only seen on tv. We were then shown up the stairs by liveried staff to the main entrance and through the marble hall, passing paintings and other antiques as I sank into the carpet. We were then ushered through the Garden Room (originally built as a Library but never used as such)  I took time to look at the antique ceramic services in the wall cases around the room before passing through the door and onto the terrace.

The Garden Parties at the Palace were a concept of Queen Victoria in the 1860s The format has changed little , people still dress in formal clothes, Men and women in Dress Uniform or Morning Clothes and day dresses or gowns. Some of  The Clergy dress in frock coats and top hats. The Military bands play nonstop music . It is a day that is remembered for the rest of their lives,by those who attend. It is also a way that  the Monarch can say "thank you" to those who may never get any other form of formal recognition in the way of an Honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment